Thursday, October 2, 2014

One Act Play

Nick Reynolds
October 2, 2014
Class: C
1 Act Play

The Ocean Storm

Mike and Mary are a young couple of lovers having a conversation at a fancy restaurant. Mike is dressed in khakis and a polo with Sperry's, while Mary is dressed in casual clothing.  

Mike
: I love to sail. Isn't sailing just great?
(Mary quickly lifts her head up)
Mary: What? Sorry I fell asleep.
Mike: Is something wrong?
Mary: No! Nothing’s wrong. Just, well sometimes it gets boring listening to you talk about sailing all the time.
Mike: Oh…well I’m sorry. I’ll stop.
Mary: Its fine let’s just look at the menu and see what we want to eat.
(The waiter approaches them)
Waitor: What'll it be?
Mike: I’ll have a bacon cheeseburger with a side of fries.
Waitor: And for the lady?
Mary: I’m just going to have a salad please.
(The waiter leaves)
Mike: Listen Mary, I really like you and I think it’s time that you move in with me.
Mary: (Spits out her drink and says) WHAT? I mean what? Don’t you think it’s a little too soon for that?
Mike: I thought about that a first, but then I realized that it shouldn’t matter how soon it is. I know what I want and that is for you to move in with me.
Mary: Mike, you are such a sweet guy, but there was a reason why I wanted to go out to dinner with you.
Mike: (With a confused look in his face says) Well what is it?
Mary: I wanted to tell you that…well…I’m seeing another guy.
Mike: (Furiously says) WHAT?
Mary: Please Mike, don’t be mad. I think you are a great guy and I hope we can still be friends.
Mike: Well it’s too late for that! I thought things were going just dandy and now you are just telling me that you have found another guy?
(Mary tries to answer with a quick rebuttal but gets interrupted by Mike)
Mike: Well…who is he?
Mary: I met him at my cousins’ party and…well…we both just felt a connection.
Mike: So what are you trying to say?
Mary: I'm trying to tell you that...I think we should see other people.
(Mike freezes then has a furious look on his face)
Mike: (shouting says) FINE. LET'S BREAK UP.
(The waiter comes back with their food)
Mike: (picking up his burger and throwing it at Mary says) I never want to see you again!
(Mary, sobbing, runs out of the restaurant embarrassed while everyone stares at Mike)
Mike: (to everyone staring, loudly shouts) Well? What are you all looking at?
(He quickly runs out of the restaurant)


No comments:

Post a Comment